Protection from Abuse (PFA)

Does someone you know need help with a Protection from Abuse Order?

Request a consultation

As a former PFA Attorney for the YWCA of Greater Harrisburg, Attorney Noll takes allegations of domestic violence seriously. Ms. Noll provides aggressive representation to both the plaintiffs and defendants in Protection from Abuse (PFA) matters.

Providing legal representation to PFA litigants in over 25 Protection From Abuse cases each month, Ms. Noll recognizes the personal and professional ramifications if you have been: a) the victim of abuse; b) falsely accused; or c) criminally charged in addition to being the subject of a Temporary PFA Order. There are ways to mitigate the damage but effective representation is essential.

Ms. Noll has successfully defended numerous individuals who have been listed as defendants by plaintiffs for vindictive reasons in a Petition for a Protection from Abuse Order.

What is a Protection from Abuse Order (PFA)?

A protection from abuse order is a paper that is signed by a judge and tells the abuser to stop the abuse or face serious legal consequences. It offers civil legal protection from domestic violence to both female and male victims.

In Pennsylvania, there are a few different types of protection from abuse orders (“PFA”). The type of PFA you may initially get depends on whether the judge believes you need protection or not.

Emergency Order

If you need immediate protection when the courts are closed (such as on a weekend, late night or holiday), you can call your local police department or 911. They will tell you which magisterial district judge is on-call that night, and provide you with the telephone number where you can reach her or him. If the judge thinks you are in immediate danger, s/he may grant you an emergency order. An emergency order will only last until the next business day. An emergency order is designed to give you protection until a court opens and you have a chance to ask for an ex parte temporary PFA. If you do not go to court on the next business day to apply for an ex parte temporary PFA, your emergency order will expire.

Ex Parte Temporary PFA

When you ask the court for a PFA, a judge will give you an ex parte temporary PFA if s/he finds that you or your minor children are in danger of further domestic abuse and need immediate protection. “Ex parte” means that the judge will make this decision based only on the information you provide, without the abuser being in court. This temporary order will last until your full court hearing for the final PFA where the abuser has an opportunity to testify and present evidence. A hearing is usually scheduled within 10 business days. If the abuser has a gun or weapon, be sure to tell this to the judge when applying for your ex parte temporary PFA so that the judge can order the weapon to be immediately turned over to the sheriff.

In which county can I file for a Protection from Abuse Order?

You can file a petition in the county where you live (permanently or temporarily) or work, in any county where the abuser can be served (i.e., where he lives or works), or in the county where the abuse took place. However, if you are going to be asking the judge to remove the abuser from the home you share, you MUST file the petition in the county where your home is located.

Protection from abuse is something we take seriously, and we’re here to help you.

Contact the compassionate family law attorneys specializing in Protection from Abuse at the Law Offices of Heidi C. Noll.

Contact us

Related Posts

Leave us a reply